Fitness refers to both the physical and mental state of a person. A physically fit but mentally unwell person will not function well or will have limitations. Physical and mental health are essential in a person’s life. Being physically and mentally fit reduce your risks of having serious medical conditions. It also allows you to live life to the full.
The Need to be Physically FitPhysical fitness is having a healthy and strong body. It means having the energy and strength to perform all your tasks easily. It helps eliminate the stress that results in having a relaxed mind. If you are physically fit, you are less likely to develop heart disease, diabetes, and other debilitating diseases and can maintain your weight. In other words, being physically fit makes you healthier. The mind synchronizes with your physically fit body. A physically active person maintains a stress-free state of mind. When your body and mind are sound, you can handle difficult times well and do not succumb to depression easily. People have different reasons for getting fit physically. A professional sportsman may engage in higher levels of physical workouts compared to an older person whose main goal is to be independent. It offers numerous advantages for your body, mind, and soul.
- Healthy heart
- Emotional health
- Mental health
- Social life
- Become independent
How to increase physical activityMedical professionals and researchers recommend having moderate-intensity physical activity for 30 minutes every day. You can start by incorporating small changes in your daily activity.
- If the shop is not too far from home, walk or cycle instead of using your car.
- Get up and walk; enough of that oversleeping. Walking in the morning gets your body worked up. Walk your children to school. Walk to the bus stop.
- Use the stairs instead of the elevator when going up or down the next floor.
- Stand up and do some stretching if your work requires you to sit most of the time.
- Walk to get coffee or water instead of rolling your chair or asking someone to do it for you.
- Find time to do other chores that require physical movements instead of lolling on the sofa.
- Performing any physical activity is essential for your health. It is better than being sedentary. If you have zero physical activity, start now and increase it gradually.
- Moderate intensity – at least 2 ½ to 5 hours
- Vigorous-intensity – at least 1 ½ to 2 ½ hours
- Or a combination of both
- Strengthening workouts – 2 days per week
If you —
- are more than 45 years olds
- have a heart condition or suspect to have a heart disease
- high risk for heart disease
- experience chest pain doing physical activities
- feel breathless doing moderate physical activity
Changing Your LifestyleYou need to change your lifestyle to become physically fit. Check the following tips:
- Include a regular workout routine everyday.
- Eat healthy. Avoid colas and junk foods.
- Quit smoking and alcoholic drinks.
- Get adequate sleep and rest.
- Spend time outside get Vitamin from the sun and get fresh air, particularly if you walk in the community park.
- Do other physical activities like swimming, biking, walking, hiking, jogging, etc.
- Play basketball, volleyball, badminton, tennis with your kids.