Swimming has a complex healing effect on the human body and a positive impact on the shape. The effectiveness of swimming is so much more compared to simple aerobics because it engages almost all muscle groups in the body. Swimming helps to strengthen the spine and slim your shape. Swimming also positively affects your circulatory system and nervous system. It corrects heart rhythms, promotes blood circulation, reduces blood pressure, and improves the elasticity of the heart muscle and blood vessels. Research shows that water sports are medicinal against insomnia. Exercises in the water are suitable for young and old, thin and fat people. Swimming slows down the aging process and helps you to keep yourself in shape. Swimming strengthens stamina, improves flexibility, and increases the body’s efficiency. The intensity of swimming is medium but can be increased by going faster and for longer. Swimming is recognized as one of the best sports regarding effectiveness in your fitness journey. It acts on the body with a relaxing effect and also helps to burn calories. Here is the know-how of effective swimming for fitness;
WARM-UPIt is important to work out first before swimming as you should before any high-intensity cardiovascular exercise to prepare the muscles and systems for the work. Warming up should be done on land. This part of the activity should not be neglected so the body releases the necessary hormones needed to perform the exercise.
YOUR FORMIf you have not had any swimming lessons up until now, it is never too late as the skill of swimming is easy to adapt and comes naturally. The whole learning process will even be a workout on its own. Vision your body shooting past your hands just the same way your hands touch the pool rails first before your body comes up to get out of the water. Your beginner form should involve your arms extended straight in front of your head so your palms are facing the bottom of the pool, slightly bend your wrists inwards while pulling your elbows back along the sides of your body. Your hands should be kept in a straight line with the rest of your body. This motion should be paired with straight up and down kicks. Averagely three kicks for each pull.
RELAXGetting tensed in water will make you sink. Remember to relax while in the water, it takes the strain off your neck, spine, and body as a whole. Helps your body to balance in a parallel position and helps you swim gracefully. Your breathing pattern while you swim is important and should cautiously be observed and practice. It will evolve gradually as you continue to practice. To get comfortable quickly, practice the sequence.
FLOATINGYou will want to isolate different muscles. The human body will naturally float in a state of balance.
MUSCLE TARGETSBack, Core, Legs- Your legs work like a propeller while swimming, the up-down/rotating kicks, push you through the water’s resistance. Arms- Your arms are used to push back water resistance and glutes.
- Low joint impact; This is because you float all through the exercise so each body part is individually doing the work on its own and not depending or imposing its weight on another.
- Swimming can be used as a sport for competing.
- Flexibility; Swimming gives your body a good stretch therefore increasing the body’s flexibility.
- Strength; the resistance of water is about 12 times the resistance of air. So you are bound to get stronger after resisting the water while you swim.
- Aerobics; Swimming is a full-body workout.
- Maintains a healthy heart rate.
- Increases endurance levels.
- Builds muscle strength.
- Tones the body muscles.
- Provides a full-body workout, targeting almost all body muscles.
- Trains the respiratory system to perform maximally.
- Helps to maintain a healthy weight.
- Attire; proper swimming attire should be worn if you want to swim effectively. Avoid materials that absorb water because they can become heavy and affect your floating.
- Should you eat? Yes, eating is allowed before swimming but not in heavy portions, just adequately because exercising needs to be fueled by carbohydrates to avoid being tired.
- Drinking is strongly advised against. Research shows that more percentage of drowned victims were intoxicated.