Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Sometimes it’s also the hardest meal to put together, especially if you work. Add diabetes to the mix, and figuring out what to eat can be downright impossible.
What are the healthiest choices? Using an online nutrition website, like About.com‘s Calorie Count, can make things easier. I researched some breakfast choices using the information from Calorie Count to compare different foods to see which breakfast is the healthiest.
A Mediocre Breakfast:
- 1 fried egg: 90 calories, 7 grams of fat and 0.4 carbs.
- 1 slice cinnamon swirl toast: 170 calories, 2.0 grams of fat and 33 carbs.
- Sausage patty: 230 calories, 22 grams of fat and 1.0 carbs
This breakfast adds up to 490 calories, 31 grams of fatand 34.4 carbs.
A Good Breakfast:
- 1 serving Egg Beaters: 30 calories, 1.0 grams of fat, 1.0 carbs
- 1 slice whole wheat toast: 87 calories, 1.2 grams of fat, 14.5 carbs (2.6 grams of fiber makes this a better choice than white toast)
- 1 serving turkey bacon: 52 calories, 4.2 grams of fat, 0.3 carbs
This breakfast adds up to 169 calories, 6.4 grams of fatand 15.8carbs.
The Best Breakfast:
- 1 egg white omelet: 16 calories, 0.1 grams of fat, 0.2 carbs
- 1 slice mixed grain toast: 75 calories, 1.2 grams of fat, 12.3 carbs
- 1 slice of ham: 46 calories, 2.4 grams of fat, 1.1 carbs
This breakfast adds up to 137 calories, 3.7 grams of fatand 13.6 carbs.
If toast is buttered, add 36 calories and 4.1 grams of fat to your breakfast total. Check out more food choices using Calorie Count, and build more healthful meals.
There is no one-size-fits-all diet. Standard diets prescribed for people with diabetes may not fulfill all that is personally desired in an eating plan for a particular individual. If you seek a diabetes-friendly diet beyond the standard plans, you have to weed through diets that could complicate management. These diets include crash diets, liquid diets, high-carb diets, strict elimination diets, and some diets with foods that might interfere with treatment before you find one that will work for you.
Check out our natural enhancement line for the best weight loss and fat burning supplements.